Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Windup Girl

I really do believe we humans are an experiment. 
I'm not sure how we're doing as far as success or failure from the perspective of our 'creator(s)'...hard for me to imagine much of the time that we're 'succeeding'...
My friend Keith Raniere once said something like 'science fiction is simply reality that hasn't happened yet' (not a direct quote mind you).  I agree.  I just read a scifi novel called "The Windup Girl" by Paolo Bacigalupi.  It's won both the Hugo and Nebula awards, to name just a couple of it's credits.  An amazing story of a near future dystopia, it reminded me, in part, of the favorite television series I mentioned yesterday, Battle Star Galactica.  Technological creations of humans, who are "humans", play unforeseen and surprising roles in the future of humanity.  Not for the faint of heart, this story, but astonishingly good.  For a more in depth review I suggest you read Blue Tyson's write up on Amazon.  I agree with this comment of his, and I agree with his five star rating:
The novel leaves you uneasy the whole way through, but fascinated. After many thousands of stories I am not easy to surprise. I had no idea what the hell was going to happen in this book, apart from the fact that it was likely to be bloody. The writing is excellent. Bacigalupi is a major talent, if unfortunately not very prolific.
I'm not a big fan of "bloody", but this didn't diminish the wondrous nature of this expression in writing.  Run, don't walk to your nearest book source and buy this book.  It's a masterpiece. 




The Windup Girl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment