Wednesday, April 4, 2012

So I love books.  I have since I discovered their many wonders back when I began to read at age 3.  I realize there is a downside to them - but it remains an intellectual realization.  In my body, the way I feel, there is no downside.  Trust me.

I could give an ongoing reading list that all who availed themselves of this blog would and could cherish into whatever infinity there might be for such a thing as writing and literature.  A weird concept in itself.  I don't believe humankind is infinite, so it's hard to imagine one of our inventions would be...

Regardless of it's sustainability, I would like to give a very honorable mention to the latest treasure in my logos chest.  The World As We Know It, by acclaimed and award-winning author, Joseph Monninger.  The New York Times Book Review credit on the jacket reads: "Monninger comes to writing with his five sense wide open".  This with another author's credit: "The combination of romantic love with adventure and a bone-deep understanding of the wild is both compelling and transcendent...With echoes of Hemingway.  The World As We Know It is nothing short of brilliant."  were both what compelled me to buy this book on Amazon.  Amazon deserves a whole separate treatment (or 18) as an enormously brilliant human invention.  Not as enormous a writing, granted, but enormous. 

Recently I commented to my (oft-mentioned) mentor, Keith Raniere, on how weird, really weird, it was to be getting older.  Something seems so "not right" about it.  I suppose with our "wiring" it seems we might live forever, even as our body shows tell-tale signs of this not being at all true.  He smiled as we walked on, saying, "Ah, the end of the book".  He seems to always have the most efficient way of expressing something specific to the individual with whom he's communicating.  When it's many people, he seems to handle it with a proficiency that is enviable to say the least. 

No comments:

Post a Comment